Officers: President: Eric Hallen (2023),Vice President: Jordan Hallen (2022), Secretary: Cyndi Sommerfeldt (2023), Treasurer: Sherri Hoiby (2022)
Board of Directors: Mike Kohn (2022), Kirk Johnson (2022), Rhett Larson (2023), Jason Raska (2023)
Trail Bosses: West: Brad McGuiggan & Jason Raska, East: Scott Carlson, Dresser West: Arik Mahler, Dresser East: Kevin McNutt, Stower Trail: Jeff Jonas & Rick LeRoux
Council Reps: Eric Hallen, Brad McGuiggan
*Meeting called to order on 4/5/22, 7:31pm at UW Wanderoos Back Garage by Eric.
- Sent out via email following March meeting and posted on webpage. Approved as read.
- Discussion later in the meeting regarding saving of meeting minutes electronically. Meeting minutes are currently saved and located on website.
- Approved as read by Frank.
- Starting to work on 5/15/22 Landowners brunch spending.
- There was discussion later in the meeting regarding the club getting a cube device or other options for cashless payments at the fair and other events. Further discussion at a later date.
- Sherri reminded us that the Treasurer must check in with the IRS and State of WI every year (see later discussions on fiscal year proposed change) to maintain our nonprofit status.
- We recognized Sherri Hoiby for her many years of service as Treasurer and advisor to the Club. Sherri was presented a plaque and gift certificates. Thanks Sherri! Enjoy being a member at large!
- Frank keeps website up to date and is open to suggestions or assistance.
- Per Frank website gets 50 hits/day during the winter season.
- Groomers luncheon was a success. Rick McGuiggan was presented with a plaque from the county for his longtime service. Congrats Ricky!
- Eric reported the County is looking for groomer/tractor drivers for summer trail maintenance. Contact the County.
- County is working on a trade in cycle for tractors per Eric.
Trail Bosses Report:
- Trail closing notification postcards were mailed out to our Landowners. Dates were stated as 4/2-4/10 however the weather is making this difficult for all. Some area trail signs have been taken down by walking just due to the wet and cold weather making it impossible to get out on the trails right now.
- Plainview Estates is now listed as the owner of the airport property on the trail.
- Nate/Matt have resolved trail and parking lot issues with the New Life Christian Church.
- Get any trail closing/maintenance hours to trail bosses or Eric. This is how the county gets $.
KAOS Youth Club:
- Next meeting is April 12, 2022, McKenzie Lanes 7pm
- Club is selling 125 raffle tickets at $20/ticket. This is the club’s main fundraiser. Drawing will be held at next week’s meeting.
- Always looking for more kids to join so get the word out.
- Per Kevin starting planning for fall safety training.
- Memberships expire on 6/30/22. Your AWSC member number never changes and is located on the magazine mailing label. Or you can email the club at email@example.com and we’ll reply with your AWSC number. Also remember to use the same name for Club membership as sled registration.
- Our club now offers one type of membership for $20.
- Landowners list is up to date and includes a trail boss contact for each owner. Thanks Scott, Kevin and many others for the time and effort put into this. With this list we are now able to send out mailings to our Landowners. It will continue to take effort to keep this list up to date but we have a starting point!
- Frank is proposing that we change the fiscal year of the club to match the AWSC membership year of July 1-June 30. This would also move the election for officers to May. The current club bylaws were put in place in 1984 prior to the AWSC/club membership program. A formal resolution will be drafted and brought to the club members for vote at the May meeting.
- In addition to the above Frank has also proposed that the Club rework our definition of ‘Board members’ to include President, V. President, Treasurer, Secretary, 4 selected members at large (we have been referring to these as our board members), Trail Boss, Vice Trail Boss, and Groomer Boss. In addition, the meeting quorums should be addressed based on this new board proposal. It was also discussed that the roles and responsibilities for each of these board positions should be documented in the bylaws, as well as, officer’s ability to make a motion. A formal resolution will be drafted and brought to the club members for vote at the May meeting.
- Discussed creating a policy to clearly document how we materially recognize deserving Club members. It was discussed to possibly have another meat raffle to fund this activity. The board needs to draft a resolution including a funding source.
- There was discussion on the Club Bereavement Policy and the need for a possible change. Currently this policy covers all Landowners and Club members and immediate family members (spouse, children, siblings, parents). With the AWSC/Club membership program this is a large burden of people in addition, to the fact that a minimum cost for funeral flowers is $100. We budgeted $300 in 2022 and have spent $400 to date. Current thoughts are to cover Landowners only. Additional discussion and approval required.
- In March meeting a motion was approved to increase the Landowner brunch budget from $2500 to $3500 due to the plan to provide $25 BP gift cards to each Landowner as we did in 2020 which was a Covid no physical gathering year. In May 2021 we had a brunch and each Landowner received a door prize. These prizes were donated by our sponsors and supplemented by small purchased gifts (ave $10). This year the decision was made and approved in the March meeting to increase the budget for this event to cover the purchase of the gift cards $2500 budgeted, $3500 approved. Upon further review this past month the cost of providing both cards and gifts, as well as brunch and drink coupon costs, has resulted in a need for additional funding. Prior to a motion to increase the budget there was discussion and agreement that our Landowners are our most important entity and therefore we would like to provide for both cards and gifts. The addition of gift cards recognizes those Landowners that may not be able to attend the brunch. A motion was passed to increase this event budget to $4500.
- Would still welcome more involvement and a planning committee.
- Landowners Appreciation Brunch at UWWanderoos on 5/15/22, 12pm. All Club members are also invited to participate and also volunteer. Contact Julie Mc if you would like to volunteer.
- We are asking that all trail bosses or an appointed representative be at the Landowners brunch on 5/15/22 to meet and greet their area Landowners as they sign in. Trail bosses will be handing out the BP Cards to their assigned Landowners (per the current Landowner listing) and also providing them with their Trail boss business card for any future communications.
- If your business or other businesses or individuals that you are aware of would be willing to donate a gift to our brunch raffle, please contact McGuiggans or Cyndi S.
- Scholarship applications and selection process will be coming up in late April/May. Contact the McGuiggans with questions or to volunteer to help with the process.
- Our May meeting typically scheduled at Osceola Lanes is our last until August, therefore we would like to turn it into a post meeting social event with bowling following the meeting. We did not spend our shelter ride budget this year due to weather and a motion was made and passed to redirect that $ to supplementing the bowling costs. All members are invited.
Next Meeting: May 3, 2022 at 7:30pm at Osceola Lanes, bowling to follow.
*Motion to adjourn passed at 8:45pm